Multiple displays issue with camera depth

Ask for help and post bugs.

Multiple displays issue with camera depth

Postby Timo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 am

I'm struggling to get working touch input across three displays at the same time. Each display has it's own camera and canvas with various sprites.
I've hooked up just about everything correctly as far as i can tell.
After a couple of days of testing this and that, I have found the issue.
The camera depth value is killing touch input from another screen/s. If I have all three cameras set to depth 0 only one screen will respond to touches. If I use 3 different depths, the the two lower depth screens send touch to the higher depth screen and their screen items don't respond to any touches themselves.
If I test in the editor I have to change the depth of a camera on the fly to get touches to respond on a particular screen.
I have even tried adding three separate Input sources, one assigned to each camera, but the touchmanager removes two of them at runtime.
Edit - forgot to mention each camera has a Standard layer applied with all items turned on,

I'm using 2017.2.0f3 with Touchscript 9, on Windows 10 with 3 Asus 10 point touchscreens. I am only using single tap gestures on clickable sprites which have trigger colliders and 6 backgrounds which have Untouchable assigned. I don't need complex gestures, just simple taps across multiple screens.

Currently I'm going to have to write a workaround hack script which oscillates the depth of each camera to allow focus to switch between each screen, so the touches can be registered on the right screen.

Is there something simple I'm missing or is this a known limitation? I also need to run another setup with twin projector walls and range scanners, so really need a valid solution for multi screen touches.

Thanks in advance. TImo.
Timo

Re: Multiple displays issue with camera depth

Postby Timo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Still no luck, especially in standalone mode. Same hack working in the editor although I only have mouse input. Going to see if I can try this oscillating camera depth idea and if it works in standalone.
Also going to try using a single display with 3 cameras instead of 3 displays, one per camera.
I'll also try modding an example scene to make sure touchscript will actually do something on this setup.
Timo

Postby Timo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 am

I have got the examples build working on one touchscreen. Tried a build of the multiuser scene with all cams sharing a single 4kx1080 display and it crashes when starting.
Do the colliders on my sprites need to have triggers or just a collider, for touchscript to work? The checkers in the multiuser scene just have colliders whereas all my sprites have trigger colliders and onmousedown scripts to fire them.
Timo

Postby valyard » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 am

This looks like an unusual situation. I've never had more than one multi-touch display to work with.
To make this work we need to answer a few questions.
1. What input mode do you use on standalone? WM_POINTER, right?
2. If you just subscribe to http://touchscript.github.io/docs/html/ ... ressed.htm event and log positions the system reports, what do you see?
3. I am not sure if multi-monitor multi-touch setup is supposed to work in the editor at all.
4. What layers do you have in the scene? If you have a FullscreenLayer it explains conflicting cameras.
5. What do you see in logs when the app crashes?
valyard
Site Admin

Postby Timo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi quick reply, I don't need multi touch in the editor just in the app.
I have 3 touch screens and each has it's own clone of a painter app, which received touches per app per screen. Then when an upload button is pressed the screen grab gets sent to a server.
Sorry for confusion. I'll check the log for that crash.
Currently use Colliders with a trigger and onmousedown. Not setting any pointers for default unity touch input.
For touchscript I only set win8+ touch and no mouse

Timo
Timo

Postby valyard » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Hm. Do you mean that you have 3 Unity apps each on separate touch screen?
For TS colliders must catch raycasts, so either non-trigger or "raycast triggers" checkbox must be on.
valyard
Site Admin

Postby Timo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:04 pm

The 3 screens are running off the same computer so I thought it would be preferable to use 1 app and 3 cameras with touchscript. I'd rather not have 3 standalone apps running if possible.
Timo

Postby Timo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I'll run a build with no triggers or with raycast triggers on and let you know. Thanks.
Timo

Postby Timo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Managed to get a Touchscript version populating all three screens with out a repeat of the previous crash. Removed all triggers from collider objects but I'm still getting no touch interaction using touchscript.
I have reverted to standard Unity trigger colliders and the three standalones are working happliy, with on eon each screen accepting it's own touch inputs.
So, Ive unfortunately run out of time to try and get touchscript to work in this instance.
However, I do still need to use touchscript on the two projector walls which use laser range finders to pick up human interaction on the 'screen' surface.
I'm using two UST10Lx Houkyo scanners and have a Unity interface for them, which picks up the scans. I need to use touchscript remapper to convert the data to a useable x y coordinate system. I have a feeling this is probably going to be even harder than getting the three touchscreens to work.
Have you any examples of laser scanners used with touchscript for large touch surfaces? They are not tuio which I would presume would be an easy set up and tweak system with touchscript., if they were tuio compatible. They run URG & scip protocol 2.2 over ethernet.

Cheers, TImo
Timo

Postby valyard » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Sorry I was unable to help you with the current project. I am sure if I could be onsite with you we'd fix everything in minutes.

As for the range finder, check if there's a way to get TUIO data from it. Otherwise you will need to write a custom InputSource for it. Check TuioInput.cs as an example.
Once the pointers are in the system everything should be fine. You just need to make sure that you get correct input into TouchScript.
valyard
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help and Bugs